Monday, December 21, 2009

Revelation Study


Ok, so today I started the journey through Revelation and I have to admit, I am so so blessed to have the English Standard Version Study Bible which gives an extensive introduction to the book. I was somewhat contemplating on whether I should first just dive into the book itself before reading the introduction but then I thought it would be good to have a general background before I try to determine what is going on just based on my own knowledge. I wanted to highlight some of the information that was introduced more for my own "concreting" --if that's a word, so that I engrave some of this information into my mind. One thing that I am praying for is not so much that God would "reveal the true answer of when and how He is coming" because I know that I can't come remotely close to that, but that He would grant me the ability to make somewhat of distinctive view point on it. I really struggle in 'making decisions' or standing on one side or the other when it comes to controversial topics in Christianity; I think it's a good thing in the sense that I maintain a balanced approach however, it can often be used as an excuse NOT to study and form some degree of an educated-opinion--if that makes sense. So this is subliminally challenging for me in helping me discern the information and putting things together. Like I said, this is an on-going process and by the end of Christmas break, I have no intentions of 'having the answer' but I am excited to just dive into the book of Revelation with hope that God will reveal himself to me and His desire to share His plan with His children. The passage in John 15:14-16 says this:

"14You are(A) my friends(B) if you do what I command you. 15(C) No longer do I call you servants,[a] for the servant[b](D) does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for(E) all that I have heard from my Father(F) I have made known to you. 16You did not choose me, but(G) I chose you and appointed you that you should go and(H) bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that(I) whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you."

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%2015:14-16&version=ESV

So we can expect, as friends or 'bondservants' of Christ, to know our Master's doing through Christ but in the same sense recognizing this:

"6(M) "Seek the LORD while he may be found;
call upon him while he is near;
7let the wicked forsake his way,
and the unrighteous man his thoughts;
let him return to the LORD, that he may have compassion on him,
and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
8For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.
9(N) For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:6-9
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah%2055&version=ESV

I fully recognize that the limitations of my knowledge are far, far less than God's and that forces me to depend upon God's wisdom over my own. So we'll see :)

No comments:

Post a Comment